Friday, February 19, 2010

Out With The Old….

New Years Eve was just the way I like it – at home with a couple good friends, good wine and good cheese. I’m not much of a partier, in fact, I was in my jammies by 7pm. Yup, that’s the good thing about staying in, you can be comfortable! ;)

Rewinding back a bit….. In anticipation of all the food/drinks of the evening, I hit up the gymbo first thing in the morning and got in an hour of HIIT cardio – 20 mins crosstrainer, 20 mins incline training on the treadmill and 20 mins on the elliptical. The place was fairly empty so I had lots of choice. After the gym, I went to the grocery store, which was also surprisingly empty! SCORE!!! I hate crowds of people. Loaded up on a few more things for the evening and then went home to clean.

I spent a bit of time getting ready and then went to pick up Dean. I have to admit that between the new hair do, make-up and the flat iron, I’m starting to feeling more girly!

Since Dean and I are the only ones that really like red, we cracked open a bottle before Holly & J got home from work. This was a yummy Blomidon Estate 2008 Baco Noir.

HPIM2303 HPIM2304

We, okay Dean prepped the cheese platters for the evening. There was a pretty big selection – smoked gouda, applewood smoked cheddar, peppered brie, Guinness cheddar, swiss, jalapeno havarti, old cheddar, mozzarella and a spicy cheese ball.

HPIM2308 HPIM2310
HPIM2312 HPIM2311

He brought over a piece of chocolate cheese just for fun. I had a small nibble and it was like cheesecake. Have any of you ever had this kind of cheese before? It was good in a weird way. LOL

HPIM2306
We had the cheese along with one of my favourite appetizers ever - a salsa & cream cheese layer dip. Mmm mmm!

HPIM2315
HPIM2313 HPIM2317

I got into the Sangria…..

HPIM2318
We played an extended round of rock band. I left the band after an hour and just watched. :-P

HPIM2322 HPIM2324

Back for more vino, this time my favourite Jost 2007 Avondale Riesling Gold.

HPIM2320 HPIM2314

Around 10pm I had a little rest (I was up at 4am okay?!) and then got up at 11am to join back in the fun. It’s tradition in this household to watch the BT NYE celebration that our local tv station hosts at Grand Parade Square every year.