Friday, January 14, 2011

Would this work for weight loss?

Would this work for weight loss?

To start, I'd like to say that I'm in terrible shape, and my plan has the end result of getting back into the United States Army, not for some time though. Basically, my question is whether strictly burning tons of calories will result in losing weight. And by "tons of calories", I mean my plan goes as follows:

I'm a 5'9", 270 lbs male, meaning my basal metabolic rate is about 2300
If I only eat 1000 calories a day, I will burn 1300 from normal functioning.
If I do P90X (the workout) every day, the workouts are designed to burn 600 calories each
If I do P90X in the morning and aim to burn 2000 calories in the evening from say, 2 hours of intense working out on an elliptical or arc trainer

That brings my daily deficit to 3900 calories. If I do this the entire duration of P90X (which is 90 days) will I REALLY lose 100 lbs in 90 days? The 100 lbs comes from 3900 calories X 90 days, equaling 351,000 calories burned, divided by 3500 cal/pound.

So, would this actually happen with this workout routine, and how realistic is it to complete this routine as written?